Monday, March 2, 2015

Elgin S-1145 Sewing Machine National Sewing Machine Company

I have been trying hard to find out just what company Elgin really is. Is it White Sewing Machine Company ? A Singer Clone?  Morse? Janome?

Which ever company this machine is from, I can say they did an excellent job of putting it together. Unfortunately, the owners of this machine , or maybe the second owners of this machine did not have much respect for it, and my machine has a lot of rust, chipped paint and hard years.  I have spent the last 2 day working on it, cleaning and polishing and trying to match the paint for touch ups. I did have to replace some pieces of the bobbin case. There is just to much rust inside to make these worthy of the machine it belongs in. I had some pieces from another machine and they match, so I changed them out.

From looking at the color scheme of the machine, I think it is from the 1960's, Elgin was made by National Sewing Machine Company. But, According to the articles I saw, National was bought out by Janome in 1960.  Leaving me still up in the air about this machine. Is it an older model Janome? If so, I could date it at 1960.

One thing I do know is that with the machine cleaned up and serviced (It still could use a new belt, but the old one looks okay for now) It runs really well. Strong, also. Another Elgin I saw had a 1.5 amp motor, from what I understand is unheard of. I cannot see the ampage on the motor, and I cannot get it out, as the nuts that hold it in are on too tight for me to budge. I was surprised at the speed and power the machine put out.

It sews excellent. It has straight and zig zag stitches with lots of adjustments. It also has cams that can go with it to give you many more stitches. I do not have these, and I do not really know what they look like at this time.

It is all metal, The only pieces that are plastic are the knobs and the shield cover. For now, All I have are the pics of the machine before clean up. I have not gotten the machine touched up with the right color paint yet, so the end pics will have to wait.

The stitches are wonderful,I think the tension is slightly off, but other than that, they are beautiful.

Here is the set of pics I took when I brought the machine home. Stay tuned for the pics of the machine after being cleaned,serviced and touched up.












This is the image of the top hood and the hood turned over



These are the pictures of the machine now that it is finished. I do now realize I am no artist when it comes to touching up these things, but I know that the paint that I have put on it will help keep it from rusting and looking beat down. 
I think this is a high shank machine, but I will need to measure. The tension is slightly off, although I was able to sew some beautiful stitches with it. It purrs like a kitten, when it gets to the long zig zags , that is the only time I see it have any trouble with the tension. Strong, nice machine. Easy to use, easy to thread, Bobbin winder works perfectly.
 These are what will come with it when I sell this one. I think I am going to add some extras , and a CD of the closest manual I can find.  Maybe put new needles and thread in also.
 The pedal works great. The screw had come lose inside  and I tightened it. Now it is wonderful.



 The sticker on the neck is now gone. It took some work, but I finally got it off. First tried Goo Gone, but finally had to go with goof off.

 Everything works great, including reverse.



 You can still see the scratches in the original finish, the touch up paint was not great , but it will protect it from further problems.
 Kind of ugly on the inside. Those are just marks from the environment it was in, and does not affect the way the machine operates. The door is closed almost all the time. This is where the cams would sit.
Here is the inside of the bobbin case. As clean as I can get it without total disassemble.
Bobbin winder did a great job. 

51 comments:

  1. Hi, I have this exact same sewing machine and was wondering if you were lucky enough to get a owners manual with it. I have been looking everywhere and can not find anything on it online. I did inspect my unit more and seen a plate on the back that says Elgin is a registered trademark of the Standard Sewing Macing Corp. But i can not find anything on them either. Thanks for your time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you find the owner's manual? Because I have one. If you need me to make a copy for you I would be happy to do so.

      Delete
    2. Did you find the owner's manual? Because I have one. If you need me to make a copy for you I would be happy to do so.

      Delete
    3. I saw your offer to send a copy of the manual for the Elfin S1145. My wife had one for many years. She passed away 4 years ago mand a family member asked for the machine. I opened it and the manual was not in the bottom. We can't figure out how to work the bobbin on the bottom. Do you still have the manual and would you be willing to send me a copy. It would be much appreciated.

      Thank you,
      Bob
      email: bob-crowley.hcis@juno.com

      Delete
    4. I saw your offer to send a copy of the manual for the Elfin S1145. My wife had one for many years. She passed away 4 years ago mand a family member asked for the machine. I opened it and the manual was not in the bottom. We can't figure out how to work the bobbin on the bottom. Do you still have the manual and would you be willing to send me a copy. It would be much appreciated.

      Thank you,
      Bob
      email: bob-crowley.hcis@juno.com

      Delete
    5. J.R. Could you send me a copy of the Elgin S-1145 Sewing Machine Manual? I've been looking for YEARS!!! Thank you.
      JT

      Delete
    6. I have an original owners manual and full set of cam/discs I could sell you.

      Delete
    7. Hi, did you have the cam/discs and the owners manual?

      Delete
    8. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    9. Please someone send me the manual, Having bobbin problems with mine, bbkmoore93@gmail.com

      Delete
    10. Found owners manual at this site:
      https://www.singer.com/search/support?lp=support&title=WS1145

      Delete
  2. To the person with the manual, JR! I'm JH, a longtime vintage machine collector, and very recently I Scored an Elgin S1145 for a ridiculous sale price in a thrift shop, but no cams and manual. I'd love to take you up on your offer to Annabelle, if that's ok, please contact me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I just bought this exact machine at a yard sale today for an excellent price. I have cleaned most of it up, except oiling, and it's in excellent condition. All the cams are included and a few additional pieces. But I need the manual as the entire bobbin case and pieces have been removed. I don't want to guess on that. I've never posted before so not sure how I'll receive an answer, so here is an email for me. I'd love to get an answer on the manual and will be happy to pay for it. swneal@neal3.com. Thank you so much for your post! Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to check the box "notify me" when you answer, so I'm doing that now. If you would please reply to this one too, I'd appreciate it! Trying to learn this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI, I do not have the manual, but there are a few folks above that said they had it. You might check with them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. TO J.R. - I hope your offer to copy the manual for the S-1145 still stands because I'm in need of one! Please contact me at jcp1st@bigfoot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. p.s. Guess I shouldn't have limited my request to only J.R. - so revise my request to anyone who has the manual and could send me a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. another p.s. to my request - I would gladly pay for the copying and mailing costs for someone who could send me
    the manual

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am posting the original manual and discs on ebay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. did you sell the discs? Can you send me a photo to know how them look?

      Delete
  10. Enjoyed reading this thread. I have this sewing machine that was handed down to me from my grandmother. It's been sitting, unused for years, because the tensions are off horribly and I've no clue how to balance them. I'd been gifted a Brother sewing machine that, while nowhere near comparison to the quality build of the Elgin, has suited my minimal needs for years.

    In an attempt to wrap up my post, we are having a yard sale this weekend and I've been struggling on whether to sell the Elgin or not. After reading through this blog, it's occurred to me that the machine is much too sentimental for me to part with. I found the owner's manual online and ordered it this morning. I even have the cams!!! The itch to sew is coming back and I'm excited to polish up my Elgin machine!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a Elgin s1145 I found at a thrift store for around $4.00. Of course, I could not let it stay there.. Long story short..It runs like a top...Amazing right??? I am looking for cams for it and I do not know which ones will fit. If anyone can take a pic of what they have and email it to me so I can try to find them that would be great. Please email any responses to cdacandy@msn.com
    Thanks,
    Cdacandy

    ReplyDelete
  12. J.R. Do you still have the manual for the Elgin s-1145. I’m looking for the manual. Can you help me out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J.R. You can contact me at mkoskoff@hotmail.com if you can help me out with the manual. Thank you Maryann

      Delete
  13. i need a manual as i have my gramma's old sewing machine but with out a manual. elgin not sure the model number
    where do you check very old machine
    as im a grandma now


    pamjstone63@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi I need to do service on my S1145 Elgin. I need to do the timing/hook assembly adjustment but not sure where to adjust. Does anyone have a service manual or any information that would help me?
    asmallhorn@yahoo.com Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. I inherited the same machine and bought a owner manual. It doesn't give much information only the most basic things that anyone would know if they have done any sewing on any machine. Does anyone know if you can interchange singer needels, bobbins or cams?
    I have access to the Singer parts.
    Anyone want a digital copy of the book?
    Like I said if you have basic knowledge you don't need it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you reply to my post I'll never get notified.
    Please send me an email to steve@equiprx.net or text is best for me @650-455-1110.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Does anyone still have a copy of the Elgin S-1145 manual? I found one in new condition for my wife but it did not have the manual.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi,
    Just some advice gathered in research for my Model 2468. Elgin is a "badge" or brand name, not a company or manufacturer. Japanese Elgins in this era were identical to certain other machines with different badges (most often WHITE.) The manuals did not have the brand name mentioned in them, unless it was added or stamped on an easily added end page. If you look for a manual, look under model number only, and leave out the brand name, since Elgins most often had a generic manual specific only to model number. Also keep in mind that Japanese Elgins are not related to early American Elgins. Japanese badges of the era often used names from defunct sewing machine companies or brands like Elgin, Domestic, or New Home.

    Also, try the Vintage Sears, Kenmore, and White Facebook group. It has a collection of manuals.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looking for a manual for ELgin S1145. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also looking for this manual let me know if and where I can get one my machine appears to be in exllent condition do u know what they sold for

      Delete
  20. I found my manual for the Elgin S1145 if anyone still needs a copy please contact me with an email address and I can forward you a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need one ! redfern58@hotmail.com thanks

      Delete
    2. I'm interested in a copy of the manual, please.

      Delete
    3. I'd love to have a copy. I've had this machine a long time and never had one. Thank you.

      Delete
    4. I have a Elgin s1145 and looking for the manual it would be great if you could forward me a copy of it thank you

      Delete
  21. I need the manual for the Elgin s-1145, please send to: krazzykats@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I found an Elgin S1145 at the recycling center. Plugged it in and it works. Have attachments and other items, no cams though but don't need them. Have searched the internet for owner's manual and FINALLY found one at the Singer site: https://www.singer.com/search/support?lp=support&title=WS1145. Hope this helps some folks on here. Would love to have an original because this one was photocopied and some pictures are not that clear but it will do. Now all I have to do is get the machine to a repair shop to clean it up and possibly have the cord replaced.

    ReplyDelete
  23. My wife recently passed away and I am finally going through some of her stuff. One of them is an Elgin model S-1145 sewing machine. I am trying to find out more about when it was manufactured, and what it might be worth if anything. Any information or direction would be appreciated. Danielgilmore0619-2@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm trying to find the book that comes with the Elgin sewing machine

    ReplyDelete
  25. I was just given the Elgin S1145 I have the manual if you need a copy I can send it to you no problem my problem is I got the machine and manual but none of the parts its supposed to come with

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would really love that!!!! I haven't been able to use my machine cause it only sews backwards. Please let me know how I can get a copy of the manual!!!! Thank you so very much, I look forward to hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be very grateful to receive a copy of this manual. Please advise what the cost would be to cover your copying and s&h costs. Thanks so much for offering this!
      Regards,
      J C

      Delete
  27. I just received the model s-1145 and it's beautiful my problem is finding a manual on it so I can learn as much as I can to get the fullest out of the machine can anyone help me find a site or place I can get a manual for this model?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.singer.com/search/support?lp=support&title=WS1145. The first page is missing the parts labels.

      Delete
    2. https://www.singer.com/search/support?lp=support&title=WS1145. The first page is missing the parts labels.

      Delete
  28. Hi everyone, can someone tell me how to move the stiches lever on the top? It looks like it is stuck on the red and I can’t move it to the right. So, I am unable to do straight stitching. - PG

    ReplyDelete
  29. This elgin model I have has one break down: loosening the wheel to thread bobbin does not disengage the stitching mode of the needle. The needle still goes up and down when winding the bobbin. I have oiled but still happens. Anyone know how to fix?Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  30. I do have the cams if you would like a picture thank, good article, like my machine.

    ReplyDelete